Thursday, August 18, 2011

What Makes a Cover - A Blog from My Guest - Wendi Zwaduk



I want to thank Anita Philmar for having me on her blog, here today. I love her blog and have looked forward to this post. So, she let me have a wide open topic idea...what should I talk about?

Didn’t take me long to come up with an idea. I have a couple favorite times of the year. No, I don’t mean Christmas (although I love Christmas). I’m talking about the arrival of the Cover Faery. Yes, it’s a glorious time.

Ok, yes, sometimes it can be bad. I honestly can’t complain. Yes, there are times when covers are...not what the story looks like. I’ve been blessed. When the Cover Faery comes to me, it’s exciting.

I just got the cover for one of my upcoming releases and yes, I whooped and hollered. It worked for the story and was just plain pretty.

So, let’s talk about the actual covers. With Ever Fallen in Love, I got lucky. The people on the covers look like Megan and Tucker and I liked the flag along the bottom. It gives the hint of a race theme without being overpowering. The yellowy-orange tinge goes along with the yellow flag/caution that takes place in racing. There’s danger and things can’t proceed until the danger is taken care of. That’s a pivotal part of the book.

Without naming any examples, there are some covers that took me completely out of the story. I couldn’t fathom the characters looking like the people on the cover and my brain insisted on trying to plug them in. Didn’t work. There are other covers that totally kept me from going further with the book because either there was something that I found gross or was presented in a less than fashionable light. No one wants a bad cover and what is considered a ‘bad’ cover is up for debate.

I’ve had authors tell me they just do not like their covers. I wondered why. I mean, most all the covers I’ve seen are fine. Drew me into the story and made me want to know more. So what’s a ‘bad’ cover?

Honestly, I don’t know. Because it has only a woman on it? Well, women read romance – maybe its so we can identify with the heroine. Men read romance. Maybe the same principle applies.

What makes me—a self avowed cover whore—want to nab a book and read the blurb?

Kink. If it’s got a little bit of bondage, I’m more than likely to turn the book over or scroll down to read the blurb.

A dark haired man. There’s a couple of dark haired men who are everywhere, but I am a sucker for a chiseled man with dark hair and a little scruff.

Heroines that look realistic. I’m going to take some heat here, but I am not stick thin. If the book is about a woman who isn’t built like a twig and she’s portrayed as a twig, I tend to grit my teeth through the read.

Ok, so I’ve given away some of my preferences, I want to say one last thing. These are my opinions and keep this in mind: authors are usually allowed to give insight into what they’d like for a cover, but they don’t often have the final say. Just because one asks for a Rubenesque blonde and a guy who resembles Brad Pitt, doesn’t mean that’s what one will get. What ultimately sells me on a book is the blurb and the excerpt. The cover is icing on the cake.

What sells you on a cover? Favorites? I’d love to know and talk about it!


I always dreamed of writing the stories in my head. Tall, dark, and handsome heroes are my favorites, as long as he has an independent woman keeping him in line. I tend to write books with titles taken from songs because music is one of my many muses. I earned a BA in education at Kent State university and as well as a Masters in Education from Nova Southeastern University. I've tried my hand at teaching, waitressing, and retail sales, but writing holds my heart. I love NASCAR, romance, books in general, Ohio farmland, dirt racing, and my menagerie of animals. I have six books under contract and more than my brain can handle percolating. I can't wait to share them with you!

http://www.wendizwaduk.com http://wendizwaduk.blogspot.com  

15 comments:

  1. Thanks Anita, I'm so glad to be here on your blog. It's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendi for stopping by. I always enjoying having guest and I like your blog. Very insightful.

    Thanks again,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of those people who don't pay too much attention to the cover and it won't be the basis for buying a book.

    I read a book once where the cover bothered me so much that I had a hard time reading the book. The guy was Native American and on the cover he just looked sleasy - a total turn off. Another don't like - when the character descriptions don't come close to matching the cover - brunette on the page and blonde on the cover - that type of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like covers that have cool backgrounds-- like book cover special effects ;-) And, if people are on the cover, I prefer them to at least look like the actual characters in hair color. It really bugs me when it's just random models. The Twilight series has some of my favorite covers because they are simple and eye-catching :-)

    justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen - I'm a cover snob. I really am. There was one that had a guy who looked, not only cheesy, but kinda scary and not in a good way. I'm sorry. I couldn't even see the blurb past that guy's scariness.

    There's a Harlequin model who...oh goodness...I will try new authors if he's on the cover and it's led me to some great new authors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chelsea - there is something beautiful in simplicity. I like covers that show the story, but not a ton of details, too. I love the cover for EFIL because it's pretty, simple and shows a race theme without having a whole track or something. The TEB author group did me proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea, unattractive, creepy guys on covers doesn't work for me, not really a big fan of cartoony covers either. A sexy torso shot is better than getting the description of the characters totally wrong, and giving me blondes instead of black hair.

    Though I read more ebooks than paper, a great cover will still catch my eye and have me hanging around long enough to check out the blurb and an excerpt.

    Your cover's definitely pass, Wendi.

    cathy m
    caity_mack at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cathy - Why thank you. I'm flattered. I think the cover is awesome and TEB did the best with the ideas I gave them. :-) I can honestly say I've never had a cover I'm not happy with. Enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good cover can be a universe changing experience. I think a bad cover can be death to a book. I don't measure a book by cover only but I do pay attention.
    jepebATverizonDOTnet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jen! Glad you made it.

    I should probably clarify my statement. If I am looking for new authors, I will certainly cover seek. It has to grab my attention. Then I look at the blurb. Sometimes, I just look at blurbs, no covers. That's a great way to hunt new authors, too. But yes, I'm bad, a cover will sell me on looking at blurb or moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I have one specific preference but I can tell you what I don't like. I really don't like cartoon covers. They bug me.
    But you cover is beautiful, I love it!

    ruby95660[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi Ruby!! So glad you came by! I've said I'm a cover snob, but hey, if the book is good, the cover shouldn't matter.

    Enjoy my book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I honestly don't care that much about the cover. As long as the story is great I can Bear an awful cover. I have to admit though that I like women in beautiful gowns (esp. in historicals) and also a nice man-chest on my covers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Claudia -
    Man chest is totally worth it. I like the flowy gowns on the ladies because I always wonder what it would be like to swirl around in one. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete