For this reason, authors need to write their books so they have a wider appeal.
How does one go about doing this?
Think about movies that have been successful across the world. What subjects do they address?
Elements to consider:
Emotions - tie us together
1. Love, death, betrayal, lust, happiness, loss, etc.
2. Desires - career success, family, safety, honor,
Characters - bring emotions to life and engage the reader in the universal truths of each individual.
1. Their belief system
2. A view of their world - how we share the same world, yet see it differently.
3. Language - the special words or sayings found in certain parts of the world.
4. Situations - that are universal to all of us, parent's dying, child sick, falling in love.
Setting - adds flavor
1. Can add to the appeal of a story by taking the reader out of their world and into another.
2. Or confirm what they love about their world and how it enhances or distracts from their life.
These are just a few things to consider when writing a book which will appeal to the world.
Best of luck,